Omega 3 fish oil supplement is a substance harvested from the bodies of fish and purified through a scientific process to remove mercury from the fish. Omega 3 contains two fatty acids that benefit your health greatly, which are known as DHA and EPA. Low levels of DHA in the brain have been linked to depression, schizophrenia, memory loss, difficulty to concentrate and an increased chance of being stricken with Alzheimer's disease.
Benefits of Fish Oil for Fitness and Health
Essential fatty acids are divided into two families: omega-6 EFAs and omega-3 EFAS.
Omega-6 EFAs can be found in vegetable oils. This includes but is not limited to corn oil and soy oil, both of which contain high amounts of linoleic acid. Omega-3 EFAs on the other hand can be found in fish oils, marine plankton and walnut and flaxseed oils.
While plant sources such as flax seed will provide the body with Omega 3 oil, the body must convert it into DHA and EFA, and that conversion can be difficult for some people or for elderly people. However, fish oil provides the body with DHA and EPA in a natural form that can easily be assimilated.
Fish oil health benefits come primarily from the two Omega 3 essential fatty acids in fish oil -- DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) and to a lesser extent EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid).
Although there are only very slight differences to distinguish the two groups of essential fatty acids from each other, studies have revealed that too much intake of omega-6 EFAs can lead to inflammation, blood clotting and tumor growth. The good news, however, is that the opposite is true for omega-3 EFAs.
Physicians and scientists are of the same opinion that the cause behind increasing cases of heart disease, hypertension or high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes, premature aging and certain kinds of cancer is none other than an imbalanced intake of omega-3 and omega-6 EFAs.
What does fish oil do for the body? Some major benefits of fish oil for health and fitness include:
- Lowers blood triglycerides - high levels of triglycerides may heighten the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Helps decrease probability of blood clots - fish oil benefits include the prevention of blood platelets from sticking together and forming blood clots.
- Lowers down mild hypertension - fish oil helps lower blood pressure when it is caused by high cholesterol and arteriosclerosis (hardening of the arteries).
- Alleviates inflammation from rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis and gout - fish oil health benefits come from the DHA and EPA that reduce the amount of inflammation-causing substances.
- Lowers risk of developing Alzheimer's disease - studies have found that fish oil seems to help protect the nervous system.
- Reduces depression rates - the lack of DHA has been linked to higher incidence rates of depression.
- Improves immune system function - fish oil benefits and studies have linked lowered risk of breast cancer and prostate cancer to the consumption of fish oil.
More about the benefits of Fish Oil
Making the Heart Healthier. The scientific world generally agrees that the EPA and DHA fatty acids found in fish oil promote a healthy vascular system. It also increases the secretion of "good" eicosanoids which in turn aids in such things as heart performance.
In Athens, Greece, a study was made to see if there was a direct connection between high fish diet and inflammation of blood vessels. The results revealed that high fish diet may decrease the level of C-reactive protein and interleukin-6, factors that are usually used to measure likelihood of blood vessel inflammation. These benefits remained even when the various risks associated with high fish diet were considered.
Also, a study done at Harvard University concluded that taking Omega 3 oil once a week lowered your chance of death from heart disease by 34 percent.
The American Heart Association recommends the use of fish oils to improve your hearts function provided that you keep your dosage to roughly between 0.5 to 1.8 grams per day.
Fish to Become Thin. In Perth, Australia, a study had revealed that fish consumption can be used against hypertension and obesity. Researchers of the UWA (University of Western Australia) have discovered that a weight-loss diet which includes a regular amount of fish consumption can be quite effective in reducing blood pressure and improving glucose tolerance.
Fish Oil to Combat Asthma. Researchers of UW (University of Wyoming) conducted a study by subjecting a number of children to a high-fish diet while others continued with their regular diet. Results revealed that the participants who ate more fish were less prone to asthma attacks and were able to breathe more easily as well.
Also, research has shown that fish oils can help decrease the risk of arrhythmias, decrease triglyceride levels, decrease the growth rate of atherosclerotic plaque, and even slightly lower blood pressure! With all these facts, there is no doubt that the regular and responsible use of Omega 3 fish oils from supplements can be of great benefit to your health.
Bipolar disorder. Fish oil has also been studied for its help with bipolar disorder. Another Harvard study showed that the disorder could be treated with fish oil with remarkable success.
Other health benefits of fish oil. Fish oil supplemented food has also proven to be useful in treating illnesses like rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, Raynaud's disease, ulcerative colitis and reducing risk factors of osteoporosis.
Does fish oil cause liver to be fatty? The answer is no, in fact, some studies indicate that the fatty acids found in fish oil can reduce the fatty deposits in the liver apart from improve insulin resistance and common liver function.
Is fish oil harmful? Fish oil is not harmful when you choose a good fish oil product and consume it sensibly. Inferior fish oil supplements do exist, while at the same time fish oils are available that are harvested from pristine ocean waters.
Some precautions that you should be aware of when considering your sources for fish oils include:
- Contain contaminants such as PCB's and heavy metals like mercury
- Additional additives to keep the fish oil from becoming rancid during the transporting and encapulating process
- Low DHA levels
Be sure to purchase only pharmaceutical grade fish oil contain high levels of DHA and EPA and are free from the heavy metals to enjoy fish oil health benefits such as Carlson Very Best Fish Oil Liquid. Read as much as you can about even more fish oil benefits that provide an amazing array of health benefits.
How much fish oil should I take? Fish oil supplement is good for memory and health when you take it moderately since excessive intake is as bad as too less. Better, asks your nutritionist for the right amount of Omega 3 fish oil supplements to take for your age and health status.
Disclaimer: This information is not presented by a medical practitioner and is for educational and informational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
- Menopause and Weight Loss - How to Losing Weight during Perimenopause
- Causes of Osteoporosis, Risk Factors, Prevention - Post Menopausal Women
- Health benefits of DHEA
- Is DHEA Dangerous?
- Does DHEA Supplements Work?
- DHEA, Perimenopause and Menopause
- Cook with Olive Oil to Improve Memory and Overall Health
- Ginkgo Biloba Herbal for Memory Loss
- Benefits of Drinking Black tea
- Remedies for Memory Loss, Concentration Problems and Forgetfulness